Project Manager, Environmental Stewardship – Innovation Center | Rosemont, IL
The U.S. dairy industry is on the mission of a lifetime: to be an environmental solution. We’ve had a longstanding commitment to environmental sustainability, and today, the dairy industry accounts for less than 2% of the country’s total greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions. We’ve made progress, but we’re not stopping there. The dairy community is committed to conserving natural resources and making further progress. Our 2050 goals address the areas where U.S. dairy collectively can have the greatest impact. Specifically, the goals are: Become carbon neutral or better by 2050; optimize water use while maximizing recycling; and improve water quality by optimizing utilization of manure and nutrients.
The Environmental Stewardship Project Manager will be part of the Net Zero Initiative (NZI), an industry-wide effort, to make technology and best practices more accessible and affordable to farms of all size through research, on-farm pilots and generation of new revenue opportunities for farmers. Responsibilities include developing supply chain projects designed to demonstrate and accelerate adoption of environmentally and economically viable practices and technologies on dairy farms; managing and reporting collaborative project progress.
Join us and contribute to U.S. dairy’s role in building a sustainable future.
- Manage design, implementation and evaluation of demonstration projects; develop process for identifying and assessing potential projects.
- Create and implement long- and short-term project plans, including setting targets for milestones and adhering to deadlines and budgets.
- Develop and implement evaluation strategies to assess project progress and impact; regularly report progress and challenges to project stakeholders.
- Update project plans, schedule meetings, maintain project files and create spreadsheets and leverage/create databases as needed.
- Identify and manage potential risks and liabilities of multiple projects.
- Make effective decisions when presented with multiple options for how to progress with the project.
- Perform quality control on projects to maintain standards and meet expectations.
- Motivate people involved in projects to complete tasks on time.
- Build, maintain, and grow meaningful relationships with internal and external partners.
- Understand priorities of key stakeholders/partners, how they are motivated and the business challenges they face.
- Ensure state and regional partners are informed as needed on projects in their region.
Interaction and Reporting Relationships
Reports to Senior Vice President Sustainability Initiatives
Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree required
- 5-10 years of project management experience with a proven ability to deliver on-time and on-budget
- Strong business acumen coupled with demonstrated leadership skills
- Agriculture, environmental, and/or dairy industry experience a plus
- Proven success in:
- Developing a project plan for tracking/reporting results to demonstrate progress toward goals
- Creating, maintaining, organizing project management documents and databases
- Producing industry-leading reports and presenting findings to peers and senior management
- Working effectively with cross functional teams, including external resources, to achieve business results
- Prioritizing and delivering work/projects with minimal supervision/oversight
- Ongoing relationship and account management with valued partners/stakeholders
Skills & Abilities
- Versatile and highly skilled project manager able to work independently and as a project team leader.
- Able to handle conflicting priorities in a multi-task environment.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in addition to presentation skills
- Able to speak effectively to wide variety of audiences, from farmers and processors to NGOs and Fortune 500 organizations.
- Excellent negotiation skills
- Demonstrated strong judgment and time management skills
- Demonstrated problem-solving skills
- Detail-oriented; strong notetaking and follow-up will be required
- Understanding of project budgeting, costing and performance metrics reporting
- Strong work ethic and integrity; a good representative of farmer values
- Promote clarity and alignment across projects
- Enable fact-based decisions
- Comfortable navigating in an entrepreneurial/ambiguous environment
Dairy Management Inc.™ (DMI) is funded by America’s 34,000-plus dairy farmers, as well as dairy importers. Created to help increase sales and demand for dairy products, DMI and its related organizations work to increase demand for dairy through research, education and innovation, and to maintain confidence in dairy foods, farms and businesses. DMI manages National Dairy Council and the American Dairy Association and founded the U.S. Dairy Export Council and the Innovation Center for U.S. Dairy. DMI works with state and regional promotion organizations to implement these programs across the country.
DMI offers competitive medical, dental, and life insurance benefits, a generous 401(k) plan, and a collaborative culture. Our Rosemont office is conveniently located across from O’Hare Airport and is accessible to the CTA Blue Line and Metra. We offer free chocolate and regular milk on tap.
(We are giving staff flexibility to work remotely as desired during the pandemic. For individuals who want to return to the office, we are limiting occupancy and have implemented a variety of COVID-related protocols to keep everyone safe).
Dairy Management Inc.™ is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, age, sex, gender, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We regret it is not possible to communicate with candidates except those who most closely match our requirements. Thank you.