Senior Vice President, Strategic and Industry Communications - U.S. Dairy Export Council (USDEC) | (Arlington, VA)
Responsible for corporate communications and messages as well as development and implementation of USDEC’s overall communications strategy, directing communications to promote, enhance and protect USDEC’s image and the image of U.S. Dairy in the domestic and overseas markets. Serves as an integral member of the senior management team, reporting to the chief operating officer.
Oversee programs to recruit and retain existing USDEC members
- Develop and publish business-relevant materials for members such as Global Dairy eBrief, Global Dairy eBrief Exclusives, special member communiques from the CEO, annual business and three-year strategic plan, etc. to build and maintain membership, as well as buy-in and support for The Next 5%
- Work to expand USDEC membership to provide additional funding for USDEC to advocate trade policies beneficial for U.S. Dairy
Manage USDEC communications aimed at all facets of the U.S. dairy industry – farmer-funders, members, U.S. suppliers, media influencers and other important stakeholders
- Manage and keep fresh the content of usdec.org and enhance the website’s business relevance and usefulness to USDEC members and the broader U.S. dairy industry
- Develop, market and distribute information of interest and relevance to the broader dairy industry through The U.S. Dairy Exporter Blog
- Seek to broaden and deepen support for USDEC and the dairy export program through dairy farmer media outreach
- Establish USDEC as a credible source of information on issues of importance to USDEC members as well as the broader industry
Via development and marketing of business-relevant information, strengthen the case to maintain funding from state and regional checkoff organizations for The Next 5%
- Provide meaningful and timely content to state and regional checkoff organizations and their farmer-funders
- Serve as farmer relations liaison with the DMI Board
Support USDEC trade policy efforts through education outreach to top-tier regional, national and international media and their thought-leader readership
- Target specific media with messaging and information clarifying USDEC trade policy positions and the impact of trade on the entire dairy supply chain
Oversee the establishment and maintenance of an issue and crisis response system in key and sensitive markets
- Continue to refine and strengthen an international issues and crisis management system to protect U.S. dairy exports through workshops and trainings for USDEC staff and members
- Customize USDEC’s response plan for U.S. Dairy’s largest and most sensitive markets
- Serve on U.S. Dairy’s Dairy Communications Management Team and Innovation Center for U.S. Dairy’s Communications Committee
Manage USDEC Board of Director’s meetings
- Brainstorm, identify and plan content and topics, recruit relevant speakers and lead marketing of USDEC meetings and webinars to maximize attendance and participation
- Serve as lead on meeting planning, coordination and logistics
Education & Experience:
Bachelor’s / Master’s Degree in Communication, Public Relations, Business or other relevant educational disciplines related to the role.
5-10 years of increasing responsibility in the area of communications and public relations with a focus on agriculture and / or dairy
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
Strong analytical, written and verbal communication skills
Well organized with ability to work to supervise staff resources
Ability to work in team environment
Understanding of agriculture and the dairy industry
Knowledge of and experience issues management and crisis preparedness
USDEC offers competitive benefits, a generous 401(k) program, and a collaborative culture.
The U.S. Dairy Export Council (USDEC) is a non-profit, independent membership organization that represents the global trade interests of U.S. dairy producers, proprietary processors and cooperatives, ingredient suppliers and export traders. Dairy Management Inc. founded USDEC in 1995 and, through the dairy checkoff program, is the organization’s primary funder. USDA's Foreign Agricultural Service provides export activity support, and membership dues fund the Council’s trade policy and lobbying activities. Go to www.USDEC.org to learn more about U.S. Dairy Export Council®
We regret it is not possible to communicate with candidates except those who most closely match our requirements. Thank you.
U.S. Dairy Export Council® is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, age, sex, gender, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law.