Easy Overnight Oats Recipe & How-To Guide
Over the past couple of years, overnight oats have started popping up on people's radars as people search for easy, quick and delicious ways to embrace breakfast. And, it doesn’t hurt that overnight oats are often made in trendy (and easy to transport) mason jars.
We reached out to the experts, our friends at Quaker Oats, to learn the basics:
What are overnight oats?
This type of oatmeal often consists of oats, milk, yogurt, and berries; the jar is placed in the refrigerator for several hours to overnight so the oats can absorb the liquid.
How do you make overnight oats?
One guideline is to have a one-to-one ratio of raw oats to milk or yogurt. Other than that, they can be very simple to pull together – for adults, or kids, too! Plus, here are a few tips from Quaker for making healthy overnight oats:
- For best results, let the oats soak in the fridge overnight for a full eight hours so they can absorb all the liquid. Of course, a few hours is OK, too!
- Any sealable container works for overnight oats. Clear jars are nice when it’s a colorful combo, but a solid-colored container works, too.
- To bring more crunch to your breakfast, save some toppings (like nuts) to add in the morning rather than soaking them in mixture the night before.
- Simple overnight oats can last for a couple day in the fridge, so don’t be afraid to make a big batch at the beginning of the week.
- Try storing them in the fridge in small, single-serve portions for a quick grab-and-go breakfast in the morning.
- Frozen fruit toppings work especially well when soaking overnight since when they “thaw” the delicious juices are released into the oats!
According to Quaker, there’s no wrong way to prepare your overnight oats, and the ingredient options are limitless. Here are some yummy ways to get started:
- Mango Overnight Oats
- Pomegranate & Cocoa Nibs Refrigerator Oats
- Blueberry Banana Overnight Oats
- Peaches and Cream Overnight Oats
- Apple Pie Overnight Oats
Make an overnight oats recipe tonight, and your morning self will thank you!