Fifth Annual Dairy Sustainability Awards to Highlight Difference Makers
The Innovation Center for U.S. Dairy®, established under the leadership of dairy farmers, is accepting nominations for the fifth year of the U.S. Dairy Sustainability Awards. The awards recognize outstanding dairy farms, businesses and partnerships for socially responsible, economically viable and environmentally sound practices. Nominations are encouraged for farms, organizations and partnerships that employ sustainable practices that are making a difference.
“Sustainable practices across the supply chain — from the everyday to the breakthrough — add up to an incredible amount of positive change for communities across the country. The U.S. Dairy Sustainability Awards highlight those who are leading the way,” said Barbara O’Brien, president of the Innovation Center for U.S. Dairy. “Sharing the winners’ stories of successful collaborations and innovative practices helps other dairy farms and businesses become more sustainable while continuing to meet the needs of an ever-growing population.
Nominations are open through Dec. 4, 2015, to all segments of the U.S. dairy value chain — from farm to table — for the following categories:
- Outstanding Dairy Farm Sustainability: Recognizes three farms that serve as examples of socially responsible, economically viable and environmentally sound dairy production. Successful nominees take a holistic approach to sustainability and provide replicable results that can inspire greater industrywide change.
- Outstanding Dairy Processing & Manufacturing Sustainability: Recognizes dairy processors and manufacturers whose businesses exemplify the triple bottom line of sustainability. Successful nominees have demonstrated both measurable progress and corporate commitment.
- Outstanding Achievement in Resource Stewardship: Recognizes dairy operations (both on and off the farm) that have measurable success in managing their resources with optimal efficiency and quality. Successful nominations have implemented efficiencies or innovations in areas such as energy, water and soil conservation, manure and waste management, and/or renewable energy generation.
- Outstanding Achievement in Community Partnerships: Recognizes collaborations (both on and off the farm) to improve lives and communities through their positive impacts on child health and wellness, hunger relief and/or environmental stewardship. Successful nominations will demonstrate instances where organizations collaborate with other stakeholders to develop practical and effective solutions to shared challenges and goals.
“For the last five years, the U.S. Dairy Sustainability Awards have brought to the forefront the commitment and care many dairy farms, companies and brands are demonstrating for our communities and our environment. Last year, we were able to recognize even more collaborations with two new categories in communities and achievements in resource stewardship,” said Paul Rovey of Rovey Dairy and chairman of Dairy Management Inc.™ “We encourage dairy farms and businesses to nominate themselves, their business partners or their neighbors so we can share more stories of success and further advance the industry’s best practices.”
The U.S. Dairy Sustainability Awards have honored 30 businesses in the past four years. Help us celebrate others who are making sustainability a reality every day. The 2016 winners will receive:
- An expense-paid trip in April 2016 to the awards ceremony and dairy sustainability events
- National and local recognition of their stories and passion for sustainability
- A featured case study on USDairy.com/Sustainability to share insights and lessons learned with industry peers
- Opportunities to work with others in the industry, helping to advance sustainability
The awards are part of the U.S. Dairy Sustainability Commitment, an industrywide effort to understand and communicate about dairy sustainability, demonstrate progress, create long-term economic growth and build consumer trust.
An independent panel of judges will evaluate all nominations based on measurable results and the potential for other dairy farms and businesses to adopt the practices; demonstrated learning, innovation and improvement; and scalability. Judges and sponsors will be announced soon.
The deadline for applications is Dec. 4, 2015. There is no fee to enter. For more information, visit USDairy.com/Sustainability/Awards.
Innovation Center for U.S. Dairy® is a forum for the dairy industry to work together pre-competitively to address barriers and opportunities to foster innovation and increase sales. The Innovation Center aligns the collective resources of the industry to offer consumers nutritious dairy products and ingredients, and promote the health of people, communities, the planet and the industry. The Board of Directors for the Innovation Center includes dairy industry leaders representing key farmer organizations, dairy cooperatives, companies, manufacturers and brands. The Innovation Center is staffed by Dairy Management Inc.™ Visit USDairy.com for more information about the Innovation Center for U.S. Dairy.