Do yourself a favor and make this lush chocolate yogurt cake recipe. Not only does yogurt give baked goods a fine tangy flavor, but its acidity works with baking soda to lift cakes as they bake. Top all that lofty softness with a drizzle of fine coffee glaze and be ready for this chocolate yogurt cake to disappear.
- 6 Tbsp. unsalted butter, softened
- 2/3 cup cocoa powder, unsweetened + 1 Tb
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup whole wheat flour
- 1½ tsp. baking powder
- 3/4 tsp. Kosher salt
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- 1 cup low-fat or fat-free vanilla yogurt
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 tsp. bourbon extract
- 1¼ cup sugar
- 2 eggs, large
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 small packets instant espresso
- 2 Tb water
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, and then the bourbon, scraping down the sides of the mixing bowl along the way.
- In a separate bowl combine the cocoa powder, flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda. In another bowl stir together the yogurt and water.
- Add one half of the dry ingredients to the creamed butter and stir. Next add the yogurt mixture and stir.
- Finally, add the rest of the dry ingredients and stir until everything is combined completely.
- Pour the batter into a greased loaf pan that has been dusted with the tablespoon of cocoa powder; bake for 1 hour, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- While the cake bakes, mix together the powdered sugar, instant espresso, and water until smooth.
- Remove the cake from the oven and let cool in the pan. Just before serving, drizzle the glaze over top.
Tips/Tricks - Note with alterations the nutritional values will be affected, including lactose content
**This cake may be served warm or cold, and is particularly delicious with a scoop of your favorite lactose-friendly ice cream and a tear of fresh mint.
**If you can’t find bourbon extract you can always substitute with actual bourbon or whiskey.