If you’ve ever wondered how to make tandoori chicken, summertime is the perfect opportunity to learn how. Named in part for the clay ovens, or “tandoor,” used to make Indian foods like naan, this tandoori chicken recipe is designed for a backyard grill.
Serve it with fattoush salad for an easy way to maximize farmer’s market finds like cherry tomatoes and Persian cucumbers—or parsley and mint from the garden. Greek yogurt brings this nutritious dish together as both a marinade and a salad dressing.
1 1/2 cups Greek Yogurt (fat level of choice)
3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
1 teaspoon coriander
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/2 teaspoon garam masala
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or more to taste)
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1.5 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
1/2 pound Persian cucumbers, thinly sliced crosswise
1/2 cup radishes, thinly sliced
3 scallions, thinly sliced
2 Little Gem or baby romaine lettuces, torn to bite-size pieces
1/4 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves, minced
1/4 cup fresh mint leaves
1/4 cup pomegranate arils
1/2 cup reserved Greek Yogurt mixture from Tandoori Chicken Recipe (above)
Kosher salt and pepper, to taste
2 eight-inch-diameter pita breads, halved, toasted until golden, broken into bite-size pieces
2 teaspoons ground sumac (optional)
- Combine Greek Yogurt, lemon juice and garlic in a bowl and stir to combine. Transfer half of the yogurt mixture to a resealable bag. Cover the remaining yogurt mixture and reserve in the refrigerator for use as dressing for the salad.
- Add grated ginger, coriander, cumin, smoked paprika, garam masala, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper to the yogurt in the bag. Add the chicken breasts and seal the bag. Squeeze the sealed bag until the yogurt mixture and spices fully coat the chicken. Place the bag in the refrigerator to marinate for at least 30 minutes or as long as overnight.
- When ready to cook, preheat a gas or charcoal grill to 450 degrees. When grill is hot, add chicken breasts and grill for 7 minutes per side, rotating twice per side.
- Transfer grilled chicken to a plate and allow to rest, tented with foil, for 10 minutes before serving. Serve with Fattoush Salad.
- Mix tomatoes, cucumbers, radishes, scallions, lettuce, parsley, mint and pomegranate arils in a large bowl.
- Add 3/4 of dressing; toss to coat, adding more dressing by tablespoonfuls as needed. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add pita; toss once. Sprinkle sumac over top of salad, if desired.