Cozy up with this delicious chicken chili recipe. This creamy, hearty stew is a milder version of traditional chili—but with chicken. The white beans bring substance that sets it apart from chicken soup, and the mild chilis and seasoning deliver just the right kick. It’s the perfect meal for a—ahem—chilly evening.
2 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 small jalapeño, seeded and diced
2 teaspoon chili powder
1 tablespoon ground cumin
2 cups frozen fired roasted corn (or regular frozen corn)
2 16-ounce cans white beans (such as Great Northern), drained and rinsed
1 4-ounce can mild green chilis, diced
1 cup chicken broth
1lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
¾ teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to taste
¾ teaspoon fresh ground pepper, plus more to taste
2 ounces low-fat cream cheese
½ cup low-fat Greek yogurt
1 lime, juiced
- Add olive oil in a 6- or 8-quart. pressure cooker*. Set pressure cooker to the sauté setting. Add the onions and jalapeños and sauté for about 3 minutes. Add in the garlic and sauté for 1 minute. Add chili powder and cumin and cook, stirring constantly for 1 additional minute. Turn off the sauté setting.
- Add in the canned beans, frozen corn, green chilies and chicken broth. Stir. Season chicken breasts on both sides with salt and pepper, then lay them on top of the vegetable mixture in the pressure cooker.
- Cover the pressure cooker and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual button or pressure cook button to 20 minutes at high pressure.
- When the timer beeps indicating the 20 minutes is up, turn off pressure cooker and let it sit for another 10-15 minutes. Then move the valve to venting and release any remaining pressure.
- Remove the chicken and place on a cutting board. Shred chicken with two forks and reserve. Allow remaining chili mixture to cool for 5 additional minutes before adding cream cheese and Greek yogurt. Stir until fully incorporated and the mixture is creamy. Add shredded chicken back to the pot.
- Stir in the lime juice. Season with additional salt and pepper to taste.
- To serve, ladle into bowls and sprinkle with cheese and a dollop of Greek yogurt or sour cream. Top with fresh cilantro, jalapeños, avocado and tortilla chips.
* For a stovetop preparation: sauté olive oil, onion and jalapeños in a large, heavy-bottom pot or dutch oven over high heat. Add the canned beans, frozen corn, green chilies and chicken broth. Season the chicken breasts on both sides with salt and pepper then lay them on top of the vegetable mixture. Cover the pot, reduce heat to a simmer and cook on the stovetop. After 20 minutes, remove lid and stir chili. If mixture is too thick, add up to 1 additional cup of broth (or water) to the pot.. Replace lid and continue cooking for an additional 15-20 minutes or until the chicken is tender and cooked through. Follow the remaining instructions as written.