Some desserts just aren’t complete without a dollop of whipped cream on top – whether it’s a slice of pie or a bowl of fresh berries.
While many of us turn to cans and tubs for a whipped topping, there’s nothing quite like making it from scratch. If it sounds a little intimidating, think again. Here’s how you can make whipped cream at home:
- 1 c. cold heavy whipping cream
- 2 T. granulated sugar (or other sweeteners like honey or maple syrup)
- ½ t. vanilla (or other liquid flavorings like Amaretto)
The key to making whipped cream at home is to make everything – your cream, bowl and whisk – as cold as possible. At least 20 minutes before you plan to start making the whipped cream, place your bowl and whisk (which can come from your stand or hand mixer) into the freezer.
Once everything’s sufficiently chilled, pour all of the ingredients into the bowl and whisk on high for about a minute until stiff peaks form.
- Take care to not over-whip your cream, as it can start turning into butter!
- One cup of cold heavy whipping cream will yield about two cups of whipped cream.
Have some whipped cream on hand? Check out these seven delicious ways to enjoy whipped cream.