- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 (15-ounce) cans white cannellini or Great Northern beans, drained
- 1 (4-ounce) can diced green chilies
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1/2 cup grated carrot
- 1/4 cup diced celery
- 1 cup low–sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 2 cups fat-free or low-fat milk
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese, divided
- 4 tablespoons fresh chopped cilantro (optional)
In a large saucepan, stir together oil, onion and garlic over medium heat until onion is softened, about 5 minutes. Add 1 can of beans and mash into onion mixture with a potato masher or a slotted spoon (mixture will be chunky).
Stir in second can of beans, green chilies, corn, carrot, celery, chicken broth, cumin, chili powder and salt, if desired; bring mixture to a simmer. Blend cornstarch into milk and stir into chowder; bring slowly to a boil, stirring frequently. Reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes, or until corn and celery are tender and mixture thickens. Stir in 1 cup of the cheese just until melted.
Serve in individual bowls and top with fresh chopped cilantro, if desired.