If you’ve got tomato soup and a rainy day, grilled cheese is the perfect complement. Actually, we think a grilled cheese sandwich goes with nearly anything on any day. It’s a fan favorite of vegetarian cuisine.
And if you want to make grilled cheese like a chef, these recipes will help you take it to the next level —maybe even add plants to your plate. Can grilled cheese be healthy? Well, from apples to onions, you’ll find three plant-packed recipes here. So, start here if you want to know how to make a grilled cheese sandwich to impress your friends and family (and yourself).
1 tablespoon butter, softened
2 teaspoons Parmesan cheese, grated
4 slices whole grain bread
2 slices sharp cheddar cheese
2 slices Swiss cheese
- Place a small, nonstick skillet on a stovetop over medium heat.
- In a small bowl, combine butter and parmesan cheese. Divide butter mixture between bread slices and spread and even layer on one side of each slice.
- Place 1 slice of cheddar and one slice of Swiss between two bread slices, with the buttered sides facing out.
- Cook one sandwich in hot skillet for about 2 minutes, until crust is golden.
- Flip sandwich and grill on the second side until crust is golden and cheese is melted.
- Repeat with second sandwich. Slice sandwiches into quarters and serve.
Gourmet grilled cheese
Here are ways to add variety to your sandwich:
Broccoli Cheddar Grilled Cheese: Combine 2 tablespoons of finely chopped, steamed broccoli with 1 teaspoon finely chopped green onion. Divide the mixture between the sandwiches and spread between the cheese slices before grilling.
Italian Grilled Cheese: Divide 2 teaspoons jarred pesto between sandwiches and spread an even layer on the non-buttered side of each slice of bread. Swap in mozzarella slices instead of Swiss cheese. Drain and pat dry two jarred roasted red peppers. Tuck one roasted red pepper and 2 tablespoon chopped fresh baby spinach between cheese slices on each sandwich before grilling.
Apple & Arugula Grilled Cheese: Core and thinly slice one small apple. Tuck half of the apple slices and 2 tablespoons fresh arugula leaves between cheese slices before grilling. Also works great on cinnamon raisin bread.