Homemade Green Bean Casserole
Green bean casseroles are right up there with parades and football games when it comes to Thanksgiving fare. And here’s a recipe to set this traditional dish apart—because it has cheese, and lots of it. We’ve got baked and crispy on top and ooey-gooey on the inside. Did we mention there’s bacon too? Get ready to be the one who’s asked to bring the green bean casserole to each Thanksgiving celebration from now on.
- 4 strips bacon, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons. flour
- 1/2 cup low-fat milk (or fat level of choice)
- 1 cup low-fat Greek yogurt (or fat level of choice)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper
- 1 pound green beans, ends trimmed and cut in half
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
2. In a medium skillet set over medium heat, add the bacon. Cook, stirring often, the fat has rendered and the bacon is crisp. Add the onions and cook until soft and translucent, about 4 minutes.
3. Sprinkle the flour over the bacon mixture until combined. Cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Gradually stir in the milk, then add the Greek yogurt and 1/4 cup of the shredded cheddar cheese. Stir until the mixture has thickened to gravy consistency. Remove from heat and season with salt and pepper to taste.
4. Bring a large pot of water to a boil and salt generously. Add the green beans and cook until tender but still crisp and green, about 5 minutes. Drain immediately then shock in a bowl of ice water to stop the cooking. Drain again and pat dry.
5. Meanwhile, in a small bowl combine panko breadcrumbs, grated parmesan and melted butter until panko is evenly coated in butter. Set aside.
6. In a large bowl combine the bacon mixture with the green beans, tossing to coat. Spread evenly in the prepared baking pan.* Top with the remaining shredded cheddar cheese and the panko breadcrumb mixture. Bake for 30 minutes, or until golden brown.