Learn how to make three bean salad with a smoky twist in this simple recipe. Reach for this chipotle bean salad recipe in the kitchen or the cafeteria (with a downloadable school recipe below) for a delicious side that’s hearty enough to stand alone as a main dish.
1 (approximately 15-ounce) can of black beans, low sodium, drained
1 (approximately 15-ounce) can of pinto beans, low sodium, drained
1 (approximately 15-ounce) can of garbanzo beans, low sodium, drained
1 cup fat-free Greek yogurt
1 Tbsp. + 2 tsp lime juice
1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
1/4 tsp. granulated onion
1/4 tsp. dried dill
1/4 tsp. chipotle powder
3/4 tsp. dried cilantro
2-1/2 Tbsp. sweet or smoky BBQ sauce
Optional Garnish: romaine lettuce, avocado, lime, fresh dill, fresh cilantro
1. Rinse all beans in cold water and drain well.
2. Combine all beans together.
3. Combine yogurt and lime juice in mixing bowl. Add pepper, onion, garlic, dill, chipotle powder and cilantro. Blend well.
4. Combine yogurt mixture and BBQ sauce. Mix until blended.
5. Pour mixture over beans. Toss lightly to combine.
6. Refrigerate until ready to use.
7. Garnish with romaine lettuce, slices of avocado and lime wedges, and top dish with chopped fresh dill and cilantro for color.
Looking to add this recipe to your lunchroom program? Check out the larger portion version below: