If you’re in a soup state of mind, have we got the cozy dish for you. Elevated by a swirl of herbed yogurt and delicate Parmesan crisps, this easy butternut squash soup recipe will fill you up but won’t weigh you down. It’s best when paired with a comfy sweater and cozy fire.
Herb Yogurt Swirl
1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt (fat level of choice)
2 tablespoons milk (fat level of choice)
1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
1 tablespoon butter
1 cup coarsely chopped onion
1 butternut squash (about 2 pounds), peeled, cut into 1-inch pieces
3 cups ready-to-serve chicken broth or vegetable broth
1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
Microgreens and pepitas, optional
Parmesan Pepita Crisps (see recipe)
1 cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup raw pepitas
Soup With Herb Yogurt Swirl
- Mix all ingredients in a small bowl. Cover and refrigerate until serving.
- For soup, heat butter in a 3-quart saucepan or small Dutch oven over medium heat until melted. Add onion; sauté until tender, about 3 minutes. Add squash, broth and ground red pepper. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer until squash is tender, about 40 minutes.
- Working in batches, puree squash mixture in a blender. Return pureed mixture to pan; season with salt. (Recipe can be made ahead to this point; cover and refrigerate up to 2 days.)
- To serve, bring soup to a boil. Ladle into shallow soup bowls. Swirl Herb Yogurt on top. Garnish with microgreens and pepitas, if using. Serve with Parmesan Pepita Crisps.
- Heat oven to 400°F. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
- Mix cheese and pepitas in a small bowl. Drop mixture by tablespoonfuls, 2 inches apart, onto lined sheet pan, forming 12 mounds. Flatten mounds slightly with bottom of a glass.
- Bake in 400°F oven until pepitas are browned, about 6 minutes. Remove from pan; cool on wire rack until crisp, about 10 minutes.
(Nutrition Information per pepita crisp (1/12 of recipe): 47 calories; 3 g total fat, 1 g saturated fat; 5 mg cholesterol; 113 mg sodium; 0.6 g carbohydrate; 0 g dietary fiber; 4 g protein)