Now here’s a lunch that’s simpler than it looks. It’s all about using what you’ve got in the pantry, and then arranging it just so.
Once you’ve got the swirls from the string cheese and turkey roll ups—directions below—the rest is a matter of artfully tossing things into a box. This lunch breaks into the afternoon with all the joie de vivre that can be rallied from variety in color, texture and flavor: cashews, sugar snap peas and mandarin oranges. Plus, assembling roll-ups is so fun that your children might enjoy making it.
1 recipe String Cheese and Turkey Roll-Ups (see recipe below)
¼ cup plain yogurt
6 canned mandarin oranges, drained
1 ounce diced cashews
6 sugar snap peas
1 serving low-fat or fat-free milk
String Cheese and Turkey Roll Ups Ingredients:
1 spinach tortilla wrap
2 tablespoons fresh avocado, smashed
1 ounce shredded romaine lettuce
1 slice deli turkey
1 mozzarella string cheese
1. Arrange string cheese and turkey roll-ups in one section of the bento box.
2. Arrange sugar snap peas in another section of the box.
3. Arrange yogurt in a third section of the bento box. Layer mandarin oranges and cashews over yogurt. Don’t forget to include a spoon!
4. Serve with milk.
String Cheese and Turkey Roll Ups Instructions:
1. Spread avocado evenly over the spinach tortilla and sprinkle lettuce over top. Layer deli turkey on top of lettuce. Place string cheese on one edge of the tortilla and roll into a tube.
2. Slice rolled tortilla into one-inch-wide pinwheels.