When you’re looking for a savory snack packed with veggies and spices, nothing beats salsa with queso fresco. We’re shaking things up with this extra-delicious and easy air fryer salsa recipe. The kickin’ salsa balances the salty, soft and crumbly queso fresco (not to be confused with queso!).
4 Roma tomatoes, cored and quartered
1 red bell pepper, cored, seeded and chopped
1 yellow onion, peeled and chopped
1 jalapeño, seeds and ribs removed
1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
3 garlic cloves, peeled
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoons chili powder
1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves, loosely packed
Juice of 1 lime
1/2 cup queso fresco, crumbled, divided
- Arrange tomatoes, bell pepper, onion, jalapeño, chipotle pepper and garlic cloves in the air fryer basket. Sprinkle cumin, salt and chili powder over vegetables.
- Close air fryer and cook at 400 degrees F for 20 minutes, periodically shaking the basket to ensure even roasting.
- Allow vegetables to cool for 10 minutes before transferring them to the bowl of a food processor.
- Add cilantro and lime juice and process the vegetables until they reach your desired salsa consistency (about 30 seconds). Adjust seasoning with salt as needed.
- Transfer salsa to an airtight container and refrigerate for at least 8 hours or overnight.
- Just before serving, stir 1/3 cup of queso fresco into salsa mixture. Garnish the top of the salsa with the remaining queso fresco and, if desired, some chopped fresh cilantro. Serve immediately.