- 1 (5-ounce) package baby kale
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup roasted red pepper, drained, chopped
- 1/4 cup (2 ounces) smoked Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 (14-ounce) package empanada wrappers for baking
1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
2. In a large skillet, cook kale in vegetable oil over medium heat for 5 to 7 minutes or until tender; drain.
3. In a large bowl, combine cooked kale, roasted red pepper, cheese, salt, garlic powder and onion powder.
4. Fill each empanada wrapper with 2 tablespoons of filling; fold wrappers in half and seal using a fork. Cut a small vent in the top of each empanada to allow for the release of steam.
5. Bake for 15 minutes or until empanadas are lightly browned and crisp.Tip: Empanada wrappers for frying may be substituted. Prepare according to directions above, eliminating cutting the small vent in each wrapper. Fry in a deep fryer at 350 F degrees for 3 to 5 minutes or until golden brown.