Webinar: What Is the Dairy Matrix?
National Dairy Council’s webinar, “The Dairy Matrix: More Than the Sum of Its Nutrients,” explores the emerging concept of the food matrix, and highlights the complexity of the dairy matrix.
About the webinar
We can agree that we eat foods, not nutrients, but the relationship between diet and health has focused on individual nutrients. Now the focus is shifting toward the impact of whole foods.
NDC's Katie Brown, EdD, RDN, explores the emerging concept of the food matrix, which looks at the physical structure of whole foods, the nutrients and bioactive factors working together synergistically to impact digestion, absorption and health.
The complex interplay between physical and chemical properties may help explain why nutrient supplements don’t always impart the same benefits as the foods in which they’re found and why even different physical forms of the same food may affect the body differently.
To bring the research into your practice, Carrie Hamady, EdD, MS, RD, FAND, NDC ambassador and director of Bowling Green State University’s Undergraduate Program in Nutrition and Dietetics, will provide educational strategies and translation tips to crystalize the concept for your audiences, moving science from the shelf to practical use to guide food behaviors.
Watch the video above to learn more. You can download a PDF of the slides by clicking the button on the right.
- Click here to download the CEU certificate for NSCA
- Click here to download the CEC certificate for ACSM
- Click here to download the CPE certificate for CDR*
- Click here to download the CME certificate for AAFP
* = Credentialed professionals can submit feedback about the quality of this activity directly to the Commission on Dietetic Registration: QualityCPE@eatright.org