Grilling and summer get-togethers go together like, well, grilling and summer get-togethers. As you plan your next event’s menu, consider spicing things up with this stuffed turkey burger with cheese recipe that'll take your burgers to the next level.
- ¼ cup plain yogurt
- ¼ cup medium or hot salsa
- 1¼ pounds ground turkey
- 3 tablespoons yellow cornmeal
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- ½ teaspoon seasoned salt
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 4 slices Monterey Jack cheese with jalapeño peppers
- Bibb lettuce leaves
- 4 hamburger buns, toasted
- 4 thin slices red onion
1. Preheat a grill to medium-high. Stir the yogurt and salsa together in a small bowl. Cover and refrigerate until serving time.
2. Combine the turkey, cornmeal, egg, salt, and chili powder in a large mixing bowl. Divide the mixture evenly into eight ¼‑inch‑thick patties.
3. Top four of the patties with a slice of the cheese, tearing the cheese in pieces to fit if necessary. Cover with the remaining four patties then press the edges tightly together to seal.
4. Grill the patties for 5 to 6 minutes on each side. To assemble the burgers, place a lettuce leaf on each bun bottom. Top with a cooked patty, the salsa mixture, and sliced onion. Close each with the top of a bun.
Which Cheeses Work Best?
The secret here is making sure that you seal your patties tightly so that none of the cheese comes out while grilling. For more cooking tips, check out this post from our friend and dietitian Kim Kirchherr.
This recipe is a great option for a variety of guests, including those with lactose intolerance, because natural cheese (like the Monterey Jack) contains minimal amounts of lactose. Yogurt also has live and active cultures that can help you digest lactose.
Looking for ways to round out this meal? Check out “The Dairy Good Cookbook: Everyday Comfort Foods From America’s Dairy Farm Families.” Learn more about it here or order it below today!
Image courtesy of “The Dairy Good Cookbook: Everyday Comfort Food from America’s Dairy Farm Families” edited by Lisa Kingsley, Andrews McMeel Publishing.