- 2 pounds flank steak, cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 cups brown mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup yellow onion, peeled, sliced
- 2 cups lactose-free non-fat milk
- 2 cups water
- 1 (1.2 ounce) package brown gravy mix
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup non-fat plain Greek yogurt
- 6 cups whole wheat egg noodles, cooked
- 3/4 cup (5-ounces) white Cheddar cheese, shredded
1. In a large stew pot, cook flank steak in oil over medium-high heat for 3 to 5 minutes; remove from pot and reserve.
2. Add mushrooms and onion, cook over medium-high heat for 3 to 5 minutes or until onions begin to soften; return beef to pot.
3. Add milk and water, bring to a boil over medium-high heat; add gravy mix, stirring until incorporated.
4. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered, for 20 to 30 minutes or until beef is tender and sauce is thickened; add peas.
5. Remove from heat; stir in yogurt.
6. Serve 1/2 cup of stroganoff over 1/2 cup of egg noodles topped with two tablespoons Cheddar cheese.
Tip: If preparing stew in advance, do not add yogurt or peas until reheating.