We’re not done with TikTok’s custard toast recipe. It’s just too darn delicious. We’ve put a yummy tropical spin on it and popped it in the air fryer to master the crispy-creamy balance that makes a custard toast recipe so lovable.
What is custard toast, exactly? It’s crispy-warm bread with a generous dollop of custard or yogurt, and it’s the perfect palette for fruit. Try this mango and lime version for a simple tropical vacation in your kitchen.
2 pieces thick-cut brioche bread
3 tablespoons low-fat Greek yogurt (or fat level of choice)*
3 teaspoons brown sugar, plus more for garnishing
2 teaspoons lime juice
1 tablespoon unsweetened coconut flakes
1/4 cup fresh mango, peeled and diced
1 teaspoon lime zest
1. Preheat air fryer to 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 5 minutes.**
2. Use the back of a spoon to gently flatten the center of each piece of bread to create a well for the custard. Set aside.
3. In a small bowl, combine Greek yogurt, brown sugar, lime juice and egg and whisk until the mixture is smooth.
4. Carefully spoon the custard mixture into the well on each piece of bread. Top with coconut flakes.
5. Carefully transfer the bread slices to the basket of the air fryer, being careful not to spill the custard mixture.
6. Air fry the custard toasts for 8 minutes at 350 degrees or until the top of the custard is firm and golden brown.
7. Use a spatula to transfer the custard toasts to a cutting board. Allow the toast to rest for at least 5 minutes, which will help the custard to set before cutting.
8. Top each slice of custard toast with fresh diced mango, lime zest and an additional sprinkle of brown sugar, if desired. Slice toasts in half diagonally and serve.
Notes: **Alternately, bake in a preheated toaster oven at 400°F until the custard is set and the toast is crisp, about 10-12 minutes.
Check out our Bananas Foster Custard French Toast here.